Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Quick Tip #357

While visiting my latest obsession, The Container Store, the sales lady made an excellent comment to me that I felt should go into this blog. As I was checking out I said, “I came in for one thing, and I am leaving with half the store!” She replied with a smile and the reminder to finish one project before I begin another. “It’s easy to just keep buying things, but you will feel so much better once you use what you bought to complete a task. Then you can reward yourself, with say, a cookie and be ready to go onto the next one.”

While the idea of rewarding myself with a cookie was not so appealing (what am I five?), I did like her one thing at a time approach. It seems pretty obvious and yet I found myself reflecting on my own apartment, cluttered with items I have bought to “get organized” that are instead collecting dust. Right then and there I resolved to pick a project and finish it this weekend. 

So my advice to you, fellow organizers, is this mantra: One step at a time. Try not to get overwhelmed by all the different tasks you have to do. Instead pick one, follow it through until completion and then give yourself a pat on the back. Or, if you prefer, a cookie.

2 comments:

Talya said...

Good idea. Can you do a post on how to organize paperwork? It is the bane of my existence to have to file!

Unknown said...

I think your mother used to say to set a "to do" list and prioritize one thing at a time! Maybe your Mom should write an organizing blog, too!

Post a Comment